Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Financial Aid

So, today I am proud to say my Fafsa is done! I know I haven't kept you guys updated on the process but I must say the FAFSA thing is hell no matter what school you're in. For the last month I've been attempting to fax it in but every time I did they would tell me the number got cut off or a form was missing. So I decided today was the day I get off my lazy butt and hand in the papers in person.

Anyone who's ever been in a Financial Aid office knows the long waits, crowded areas, and headaches associated with it. This is why I dread actually going to the place, and tried ever so desperately to avoid it.

I entered the 43 street building around 1:00 and made my way up to the second floor where I would subject myself to the wait of hell. All I needed to do was drop off a few papers and be done, but I knew that with the Financial Aid office nothing was ever so simple. I saw a group of 20 or so students scattered about the room, and another 3 standing on a line in order to sign in.

With a heavy sigh I made my way to the line and waited to put my name down. When I got to the front I asked the lady how long the wait was. "About an hour" a pleasant voice replied. 'An hour to drop off papers' my mind instinctively scoured as I scribbled my name and ID number.

"Miss I just need to drop off papers is there any way I can avoid the wait process" I asked attempting to avoid purgatory.
"If you come back tomorrow I can see you instantly, or on friday?" She replied looking at the people who eyed me as I attempted to avoid the crowds

"I have work, any chance I can come back in an hour?" I inquired fully knowing that I'd be eaten by the crowd if I did just get to drop them off.

"Sure" She replied.

WIN! I avoid the horrendous wait que and instead gabbed on my cell phone for an hour as I grabbed food. In truth the Financial Aid office is so much better than any other I know of. Normally they would just shush me and I'd be grumbling angrily as I sit in purgatory.

Todays advice: Always inquire, you never know when it may really help.

No comments:

Post a Comment