Friday, April 16, 2010

Career Fair

Checking the clock for the tenth time I slammed my head back down onto the pillow. It was 5:27, and I swore to myself I wouldn't dare get up before 5:30, but I was restless and no matter how hard I tried to lull myself back to a temporary sleep I could not. I was jittery, nervous, and excited for todays events- but I knew I would also be quite tired because of my restless night.

With a sigh I resolved the issue and left the warmth and comfort of my bed for my usual morning routine. But my outfit was different, and my make-up more tame, and no matter whether you knew the situation of not their was an odd sort of tenseness in the air. With the final touch of a slightly pink lipstick and smoothing down any loose hairs I examined myself; how very corporate I did seem.
When I was a child I had decided I wanted to be a lawyer. When I was an adolescentI decided I'd be a lawyer in jeans and a graphic T-shirt, and as I entered the brooding teenage angst stage I decide that heavy eyeliner was a must. Yet here I stood in front of a mirror hair pulled back in a respectable bun, in a pants suit- jacket and all, and with tame and classic make-up. When did I grow up? With shaky breath I tried not to think too much on it, I wanted to focus on what today was.

I got my papers together and organized them in a small laptop bag along with pens and other such necessities. Slipping on a pair of classic black high heels I grabbed my bag and left. Today was the day of the career fair, and I decided I should go.

Hope you guys enjoyed my over-dramatization of this morning events! But I must say I was very scared when I walked in there; seeing as, yet again, I knew no one, and everyone was either a senior or an alumni. But, low and behold I survived and who knows I might be have a new job soon- or at least an internship. I'd talk about it but I really don't want to jinx it.

For all those who read this and have been given the chance to go, just go! It's scary at first but just take a deep breathe and jump right into it! For those of you who have already missed one, well don't worry Berkeley College does numerous ones each year, and they always have different companies there. However, I do think they were a bit more useful for junior, seniors, and alumni.

The unrelated words of knowledge of today are *drum roll*: Sometimes it is best to runaway from your problems, because only then can you turn around and see the full picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment