Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Computer Troubles?

So yesterday was the day I was supposed to present my lovely Apple presentation to the class... did not go well. To start, I designed the project originally the night before because I am a world class procrastinator, and a horrible student at that. I guess what I'm saying is, my lack of preparation was problem one in this story.

But I digress, my project was by all means adequate, and consisted of pretty little slides, and useful bits of information. Something however, was missing. Although this may seem dreadfully odd, the Jessica factor was missing. For the few of you who know me, you'd know that if ever I am excited about giving a presentation you should be afraid. I was never a fan of the classic powerpoint approach, I'd much rather get the entire class involved giving them new insight to put into play- and also assure a perfect grade.

Once in a Psychology class in High school I brought in 20 stuffed animals and asked everyone to choose the one they thought was prettiest. Questionably they begin to murmur their favorites as I concluded with- "Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but the beholders' eyes are all watching the same media." It was an amazing report if I do say so. But I've gone off topic now haven't I?

While sitting in the classroom, right before the start of class a stroke of genius hit me- photobooth. Now, that might sound odd to any non-mac user, and probably still sounds odd to those that know what photobooth is. Well, to start photobooth is a program on Mac's that uses the built in web cam to take pictures. It has many different effects such as squeezing in the head and what not. So, what would this lovely program do in a powerpoint? Absolutely nothing.

Yes, I could but funny pictures of people distorted in the slides for a good laugh, but I had a much better idea. Grabbing a VGA to mini Displayport wire I decided to connect my laptop directly to the projector and present from there. I also figured why not ask for an audience member to make a fool of themselves whilst the presentation occurs.

In short I decided to do a demo of photobooth and imovies instead of the classic powerpoint. sadly that wire I bought... I had no idea where to disconnect the vga wire. When I did find out it was too late... Lesson is, be prepared beforehand...

Words of the wise 19 year old: They were already included in the text actually.... "Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but the beholders' eyes are all watching the same media."

No comments:

Post a Comment