Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The greatest English Assignment

So, I had an excused absence a couple of days ago in English and in return for not being penalized for my absence opted to do an extra assignment. This is by far my favorite assignment of all times simply because it was on The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe. This is one of my favorite short stories of all time and reading it alone sends me into a fit of over-dramtized acting. So when I was told to simply write something using this amazing piece of literature I was ecstatic. Originally it was implied that I would simply write a review-- but that is too simplistic for might style of writing. So I sat on my computer thinking and thinking...

Then it came to me, I got an idea to copy Poe's style of writing in the short story but instead make it from the old man's point of view. It was amazing! I must say it was by far the most entertaining piece I have written in some time. But I must stress it needs to be read in a sort of mania in order to understand the brilliance behind it. Only fair that I show it to you guys I suppose...
The Told Tale Heart

It was a dastardly day when Death chose to take me.

Its cold shaken hands choked the air from my lungs.

Silently, so silently, yes silently, did my death come.

Such kindness did the lad show me,

I was just an old crippled man,

With a dizzy blue eye, my world was in a haze.

But I knew, yes I knew, I knew what was at hand.

He came to me every morning- cheer strained his voice.

He’d greeted me full heartedly, a smile woven and forced.

“Good Morning” His voice would echo throughout the room.

Cautiously, so cautiously, yes cautiously did I trust this fool.

Ever night I laid silent, afraid to make a sound.

Every noise I heard every night made my heart beat pound.

I felt every wind, every dust particle, everything.

Everything, yes everything, oh how everything scared me.

As the nights strung by, sleep was restless.

As the clocks hand ticked, my heartbeat persisted.

Tic Tic Tic, was it all in my dreams?

Tic Tic Tic I knew not what I had seen.

Fearsome, so fearsome, yes fearsome did I lay.

Day after, day after, day after day…

Then the door creaked, I knew I heard a noise

“Who’s there?” I had shouted unaware of the boy.

He stood there smiling, wickedly.

And with a Cheshire smile launched himself at me

One fatal scream was all that escaped my lips.

Then I was smothered to death by the like of him.

Silently, so silently, yes silently did my body lay.

But not quietly, no not quietly, loudly did my heart pray

Tic tic tic was all the boy heard

Tic tic tic was my revenge in full

Tic tic tic no words were said

Tic tic tic…

I then read it out loud to the class, the results were amazing... the teacher simply looked at me dumbfounded... and through this all I begin to wonder Where is the shy girl who entered college?

I know I forgot the 'words of the wise 19 year old girl' in the last blog but I'm sure you'll forgive me. For today I leave you with simple words "if you don't risk anything, you risk even more"


1 comment: